Annoying noise '99 Explorer

Hoping someone can shed some light on a persistent and annoying noise in the dash area of my 99 Explorer. The noise which is best described as a creaking or snapping noise appears to be coming from the passenger area in the corner of the dash. Somewhere near where the windshield meets the dash. I have removed glove box, air bag, vent covers, side and window post covers, tightened any reachable bolts, sprayed lubricant, removed cover over windshield wipers, tightened all easy access bolts in firewall area under hood, tightened antennae, removed inner fender skirt, again tightened accessible bolts, tightened fender bolts, etc, etc, All to no avail! Driving me nuts! Before I resign to paying a body shop to dig further is there any suggestions or similar experiences? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Frustrated!

Reply to
Alan Burgher

I had a similiar noise im my 99 XLT. If you remove the airbag you will see a

1.5" duct hose that runs in the upper right hand corner of the dash . I believe my noise was coming from this hose being loose and hitting other things, so I secured the hose with some duct tape and the noise went away. I don't know if this is your problem but I just thought I pass this along.

Reply to
SizzleMP

This may be a long shot, but I've noticed that the black plastic panel outside of the windshield(where the wipers are) makes assorted creaking noises if you press on the left or right corners. Possibly when the car is moving the wind and vibration caused this panel makes the sounds.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

I had a '96 Ram that made sharp snapping noises like that. At first, every time it did it, I would check the windshield for cracks, because that's what it sounded like. Eventually the windshield was replaced because a rock tried to go thru it. The snapping noises stopped with the replacement.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower