Any input by Ford techs appreciated regarding 99 Eddie Bauer

Is it possible to start a 99 Eddie Bauer without key? Basically getting around the transponder system. One of my clients (I'm an insurance guy) had a 99 Eddie Bauer stolen and subsequently recovered. Carrier denied the claim saying that even though there was damage around steering column and ignition lock itself was removed (which made ignition starter accessible) that it was not sufficient to operate the Explorer. That you still need the correct key because of passive security/immobilizer device & without key, vehicle won't start. Any input greatly appreciated as I think this kid is possibly getting shafted and would like to sound somewhat intelligent when I fight the claims dept.

Thanks for any responses. K

Reply to
gosidracer

Failed to mention, not looking for a step by step on how one would go about this, I'm not a car thief, just seeking an experienced opinion on whether it is possible or not. Best, K

Reply to
gosidracer

i'm not a tech but on my truck i have a remote start system and i had to have a third key made and is in a box with a wire that wraps around lock on the colum and when i hit the button it sends the signal from the key to the colum to start the car now being an x car thief if i choped the colum and found one of these wires i would follow the wire to the key because people are lazy and do not hide these boxes properly mine was put just under a panel under the dash i took the whole dash apart and hid it the right way

Reply to
mab6680

Seems to me that the easiest way to steal a vehicle is to load the vehicle on a rollback. Maybe the theives had to rip out the lock so they could shift the transmission to neutral and position the steering wheel to make it easier to load on a rollback (or tow it away).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ask that same claims dept. for the insurance industries own report of vehicles stolen by make and model. The Explorer is not in the top ten, but its on there. Then ask them how they know the vehicle could not have been stolen.

Then tell the owner to contact the state insurance commissioners office and file a report. They should clear it up for him in about 15 minutes, unless there is some evidence on the police report that the owner vandalized his own car.

Reply to
Ross via CarKB.com

Thanks for all the responses.

Ross, pretty much headed in that direction. I've spoken to a few of the body shops I deal with and they've shed some light on it as well. Claim rep is prick hiding behind his phone and the head of the dept. is not much better. I've compiled some pretty solid facts last 48 hrs. and I'll walk this kid over to the commissioners office myself if need be. No indication that he did anything wrong...carriers here are just looking for ways to deny claims. Only one inconsistency with his story and it should have had no bearing on the outcome. Just a time frame thing and honestly, I just think he confused the order of events and was a bit out of sorts when they interviewed him. I was already headed in the commissioners direction, but absolutely forgot about that little list.

Seriously, thanks aga>Ask that same claims dept. for the insurance industries own report of

Reply to
gosidracer via CarKB.com