Anyone have leaks using Fram sure drain?

I recently noticed on my 99 XLT that there is a slight leak coming from the threads( where it goes into the oil pan). I loosened the plug slightly and re-tightened it ( not much as I was afraid to strip the threads) I will check again at the end of the day. But I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem.

Reply to
Mikepier

Have had a couple of those for years without any problems. With oil pan plugs, it's the washer, not the threads that does the sealing. I don't recall what it's made of on the 'sure drain' - probably nylon. Check that it's intact and the mating pan surface is flat and clean. I don't think that you could strip the oil pan threads that easily - they seem to be designed to handle some abuse. If you can't compress the washer by feel, use a torque wrench set to about 20 ft-lb.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

My father's oil pan drain was stripped by the Ford dealer he goes to for changes (99 town car). They were cool enough to cover the labor if he covered the part (oil pan). He had been going to them for many changes. There is probably a backer plate tack welded to the inside pan that has the threads. I'd be careful about the torque. Maybe check the manual for #'s

Follow> I recently noticed on my 99 XLT that there is a slight leak coming from

Reply to
Ted

Gee, how generous of them.

Reply to
Ratbert

You would think they would have offered to fit an oversized plug in the existing stripped oil pan by drilling and tapping it for no charge, at the very least.

This is what a GM dealer did in my area years ago when the same thing happened with a Grand Prix I use to own. I did have to argue with the service rep., somewhat, and remind him that I purchased the vehicle from them brand new and they were the only ones that serviced the vehicle and changed the oil since the car was built. Needless to say, even though there was no charge, I never returned to that particular dealership for service after that.

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf