auto to manual conversion

OK, I am betting that this topic has been beat to death because everyone I know who owns or has owned an Explorer absolutely hates these auto hubs. Well here goes anyhow: I recently bought a 94 explorer xlt. Beautiful rig in perfect mechanical shape. However the front drive shaft is permanantly engaged. Not the 4wd, just the front drive shaft. Well I figured no biggy, I have an older rig that was converted to the manual locking hubs. I went to swap them over not realizing that there was a conversion fit and low and behold they don't fit. I did some scouring on this board and realized that there is a conversion kit that I need. So my question is can I take the conversion kit off of the old explorer and put it onto the new one to get them to fit or should I just buy a new kit. It looks like they are only about 50 bucks new. If that is the case I might be better off just buying a new kit. Which brings me to question 2: What is involved in installing the conversion kit? And if I can take the kit off of the old explorer what exactly do I need to take off? I greatly appreciate any and all help eveyone.

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dedge

OK, I did the conversion and everything seemed to go pretty well. But I think that front drive shaft is still engaging at least part of the time. I drove 9 miles to work this morning and the hubs were cool to the touch when I got here. But then I drove just a couple miles at lunch time and they were pretty warm to the touch and I looked the drive shaft and it had moved since last night. Any ideas? I am kind of at a loss, I thought that they hubs were the only possible thing it could be. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I guess I really don't know how that shaft could move without the manual hubs locked.

Thanks again, Dan

Reply to
Dedge