AWD gone in 2005?

I was reading in some Consumer Buying Guide that AWD has been discontinued in the 2005 models. Does anyone know why? I have it in my 2003 XLT and it has performed flawlessly in deep soft sand at Cape Hatteras and in fairly deep snow the last two winters. I'm just wondering if Ford discovered something inherently wrong with the engineering or that it was not as big a marketing plus as they thought it would be?

-Foon

Reply to
Foon

it may be gone in the explorers but ford is offeringAWD in the ford 500, the new montego and in the monterey so i hardly think there was some inherent flaw. i.m with you, i have it in my 99mountaineer and i love it in the buffalo, ny winters! .

Reply to
Jim Weibel

I doubt that is true. If so, they wouldn't sell one vehicle here in the northeast/snowbelt. Not one. 2WD Explorers don't even exist up here. Period.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Quite the opposite... all wheel drive is showing up on more models than ever including the 500 and (IIRC) the Freestar.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Foontonio Foonarelli!

What you need is an F250 Crew Cab Long Bed. Then you'll have room for boards...inside.

a.

Reply to
Andrew Smith

Perhaps I should have differentiated between All Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive. The AWD I have is engaged at all times. There are no dash buttons to choose the type of 4WD option you need. Power in AWD is directed to the rear wheels on standard surfaces. If the rear wheels begin to slip or cannot move the vehicle forward, power is automatically directed to front wheels to compensate. You can gear down for more power using the shift lever. It even gets more complicated if wheels slip on different sides I understand. I snooped on the official 2005 Ford Explorer site for my model XLT and found no mention of an AWD option. Has anyone even seen a 2005 with that feature?

-Foon

Reply to
Foon

Hi Andy. I owned trucks for a few years back in the 70s but found the comfort factor lacking. Besides, my boards are only 43 inches long these days. Mahalo. =Foon

Reply to
Foon

I believe that the Mountaineer ONLY has AWD or 2WD, but not 4WD even as an option.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

In prior years Ford offered 3 types of Explorer drive systems - 2WD, AWD, and A4WD. The AWD is gone. A4WD (aka ControlTrac) is still with us. The AWD system was a full time all wheel drive system that did not include a low range. The A4WD (Automatic 4 Wheel Drive) system is a more traditional 4 WD system with an electrically operated clutch in the transfer case that engages when slip is detected. It includes a low range.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

The AWD version is not mentioned in the '05 Explorer ordering guide. so I assume it is gone. Persoanlly, I prefer the A4WD system. I imagine Ford decided that people who wanted AWD might be condidates for the Freestyle. BTW, my Father just bought a Freestyle and it is very nice.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White