Back window fence guard???

Anyone know if there is a back window fence available to install in my

93 explorer to prevent canines from jumping out with the rear window open?
Reply to
K9KO

I don't know about a guard.

What I do know is that driving with tailgate open presents a serious health risk. As you drive along, you generate a vacuum at the rear of the vehicle. This tends to draw in exhaust fumes and has been known to cause fatalities.

Before the Explorer came into the family, we had been part of the station wagon set starting in 1969. That's a lot of wagons over the years. The hazard was well known and well documented.

The worst story I ever read about was a family going on vacation. Their wagon had the rear facing seats (an option that would let you seat up to nine). The kids wanted to sit in back with the window open ( lot of those retracted into the tailgate). When they arrived at their destination two of the kids had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Even now if I have a long load that sticks out beyond the tailgate, I always am careful to be sure that the front windows are down and there is good airflow through the car.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Not to mention risk of wacking the window on a low lying tree branch or stress on those cheapy struts that hold it open.

Reply to
knagy389us

Do you have any documentation of this incident? While I'm not a rocket scientist, I find it difficult to believe that a sufficient CO concentration can be built up with a window open on a moving vehicle, even if it were a rear window. It may get high enough to cause sleepiness, headaches, and nausea, however.

I think the greater risk of having the rear window open would be a broken rear window.

[...]

John Riggs

Had a 150# dog that threw off more heat than the AC could handle. So I've driven with the back window open in warm weather for over 10 years. No fumes when parked. And never had fume problems when exhaust was intact, and windows open anyway. Did replace the window pistons once.(Wish every replacement part was that cheap and easy!)

Now that the new dog is not as trustworthy, to not jump out the window, I'm looking for a way to keep the back window open without having to secure the dog.

Guessing I have to make my own because, no one sells rear window guards cause of liability.

Reply to
Bad Dog

John, I do not have any documentation on the tragic story. As I recall, it happened in the mid 80's. I place the time on where I was working at the time. The incident was widely reported on the news and discussed it with my boss at the time. We both had wagons and were already aware of the problem. The symptoms you describe are accurate, but do you want to play a game called "You bet your life" to se if it really gets bad enough.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Yup, I'll take my chances with it. I grew up with those wagons, and I don't recall any news on such a thing.

| > I think the greater risk of having the rear window open would be a | > broken rear window. | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

I rememeber well many such stories. Snopes.com is full of them. Here's a story about a 140-year-old dinosaur:

don't believe that, either.

Reply to
Big Bill

A leash or harness does that very well. It helps, of course, to fasten the loose end to something such that there's not enough slack for the dog to get out the window. :-)

Reply to
Big Bill

Well Bill, I invite you to post a link to Snopes regarding this subject. I have searched under "carbon dioxide", "station wagon" and "tailgate" and found no item on the story I posted.

I guess you should have done a little research instead of just shooting from the hip.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Or maybe you could do the research to support your story, Charlie.

For years I drove a full sized Bronco with the rear window only opened for my dog. Never any indication of a problem. I too believe it highly unlikely that carbon dioxide could kill an occupant in a moving car with an opened rear window...

Reply to
351CJ

Reply to
sf/gf

Nicely put, it is near impossible to reach the PPM concentration necessary, while traveling at speed, to cause death unless the person or animal is already in fragile or sensitive health. The amount of fresh air that is inducted is greater than the amount of exhaust gasses being introduced. A person smoking a cigarette will get higher concentrations of CO than you will experience by driving with the rear window open. Now, remember, this is while driving.

| >> Well Bill, I invite you to post a link to Snopes regarding this subject. | >> I have searched under "carbon dioxide", "station wagon" and "tailgate" | >> and found no item on the story I posted. | >>

| >> I guess you should have done a little research instead of just shooting | >> from the hip. | >>

| > Or maybe you could do the research to support your story, Charlie. | >

| > For years I drove a full sized Bronco with the rear window only opened for | > my dog. Never any indication of a problem. | > I too believe it highly unlikely that carbon dioxide could kill an | > occupant in a moving car with an opened rear window... | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

"Such" stories being the urban legend. There are a multitude of them. They frequently are of the "lesson learned" type; the story about the CO deaths referrenced in this thread certainly fits this mold: a well-remmembered story, but no documentation of that story or any other like story. Coupled with the unlikelyhood of CO being present in such a situation in a concentration likely to cause death, and experiences to the contrary (including my own; I grew up in a family that used station wagons, and the rear window was often open during summer) would indicate that this is an urban legend. That it isn't in Snopes doesn't mean it's not an urban legend. But it certainly fits the mold: interesting and shocking story, no evidence, and a lesson to be learned.

Reply to
Big Bill

"Charlie Bress" wrotenews:ap-dndpxpfKB4 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

When I was a kid growing up in the jungles of west africa, our vehicle was a basic little Landrover with canvas sides and tops. The adults of course, sat in the front on the canvas/metal-rod seats with a plastic cushion and the kids sat on the metal flat tool boxes in the back. Ugh. Sore butts, especially hitting 4' deep potholes at 30 mph. No tarmac roads at all.

WE used to hate going to the beach becuase us kids would always get a headache and feel nauseous and sick and it would take about an hour at the beach to clear it up and then we would hate to go home. We thought it was becuase we were weak and not strong and wussy kids and got car sick all the time.

Turns out later we realized it was carbon monoxide being sucked back into the rear. Bright red faces, headaches, vomiting, etc. Parents were all right, they just told us to shut up and suck it up. Don't let the natives see you whining and crying.

To this day I get quesy sitting in the back seat of any vehicle.

Grrr...

Reply to
Mapanari

"John Riggs" wrotenews:4266a7f1 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

See my post before yours.

Also, ever been on a long fishing trip into the gulf going for marlin or mako and going for 12 hours with a following wind and the fumes and co2 coming back at you over the fantail?

Sick sick sick. Barf, headaches, sick sick sick!

A few kids have died on Lake Powel and others, being towed behind motorboats doing wave surfing from Co2. See 60 minutes report last year.

I almost died on the border of China due to charcol underfloor heating and a closed room. My girlfriend was almost dead and I couldn't wake her and that's what finally stirred the repitilian part of my brain to get and and open some windows, even though it was 30 below out there!

headaches, nausea...all the same o symptoms.

Co2 is nothing to play with becuase it's so dangerous.

Hell, just close up your garage, turn on your car and about 1 hour later, you're dead!

Reply to
Mapanari

"351CJ" wrotenews:lfY9e.12386$c93.5596@trnddc08:

If you had any other window open, it probably would have disapated the co2 enough, and then again, your dog couldn't talk and he couldn't very well slap you upside your head for giving him all those headaches, could he?

Go on a long trip, with all your windows closed and rear hatch window open....or go on a long trip with all your windows open, but go slow. Been there, done that, got headaches and co2 poisoning.

Reply to
Mapanari

"sf/gf" wrotenews:NL%9e.10197$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yah, I keep saying co2 when it's co.

My mistake.

Reply to
Mapanari

Post the article, 'cause this is just hokum otherwise. None of my training or experience support your claims.

| > I think the greater risk of having the rear window open would be a | > broken rear window. | >

| See my post before yours. | | Also, ever been on a long fishing trip into the gulf going for marlin or | mako and going for 12 hours with a following wind and the fumes and co2 | coming back at you over the fantail? | | Sick sick sick. Barf, headaches, sick sick sick! | | A few kids have died on Lake Powel and others, being towed behind | motorboats doing wave surfing from Co2. See 60 minutes report last year. | | I almost died on the border of China due to charcol underfloor heating and | a closed room. My girlfriend was almost dead and I couldn't wake her and | that's what finally stirred the repitilian part of my brain to get and and | open some windows, even though it was 30 below out there! | | headaches, nausea...all the same o symptoms. | | Co2 is nothing to play with becuase it's so dangerous. | | Hell, just close up your garage, turn on your car and about 1 hour later, | you're dead! | | | -- | ---Mapanari---

Reply to
John Riggs

Is 1800 miles one way for a single trip far enough for you? Generally no other windows opened. The back window is only about 4 feet behind my head while driving, I don't think the concentration is substantially greater or different in that one spot over a spot closer to the large opened window. BTW the dogs head was usually outside the window.

Been there done that for many thousands of miles... Not a problem.

Reply to
351CJ