Ball Joint Replacement

I'm going to be replacing the upper and lower ball joints on my 97 Explorer

4.0 OHV 2wd. I have a good idea how to do the uppers, but I had a few questions about the lowers. The service manuals I have say that the whole lower control arm must be replaced in order to replace the ball joints. In reading various post on this and other forums, I understand the lower can be pressed out and all the parts stores sell just the replacement ball joints. All the accounts I read so far have delt with 4wd vehicles. Mine is only a 2wd, so I was wanting to know what I will need to disconnect/remove in order to press the ball joint out since I don't have a driveshaft or ABS sensors to worry about. Will I need to remove the torsion arms and shock absorbers to do the replacement. Can a floor jack simply be used to hold the lower control arm once the joint is disconnected from the lower? If anyone could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply to
Captain Coleman