Before I head to the dealer......

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I noticed that my radiator overflow container was empty. I filled it up about an inch below the "Hot Level". I drove 70 miles in 100 degree weather, so I thought I would check it again when it was hot. The overflow container was empty again, even though the engine was hot (note: the TEMP gauge was right in the middle of the range). I checked the oil (via the dip stick) to see if there was any indication of water in the oil. Couldn't see anything that would indicate that. There is no water leaking out onto the garage floor.

So, I'm thinking blown head gasket or cracked block, because the water is going somewhere. I still have a few months of warranty, so I will head to the dealer when I get home from a trip. Any other ideas that I can pass on to the dealer?

Thanks. Tom

Reply to
Tom from WI

Try a combustion gases in the coolant test if you can. You can have leaks that only happen when running/hot and not see anyting on the floor from them.

Both a head gasket or a block/head failure will blow the coolant out the overflow tube, and that would give the appearances of a leak.

If it is still under warranty don't mess with it. Take it to the dealer and get them to fix it. Don't wait, establish a history so that if there turns out to be an (undiscovered) problem, they will still be obligated to fix it regardless of current warranty status. (You report but they cannot fix under warranty they are obligated to repair it later if you establish the problem existed while the warranty was in force...)

Reply to
PeterD

This may sound silly...

I had a similar problem in my Corvette, though it was washed fluid it is somewhat similar.

It turned out to have a small crack in the plasic resevoir. Didn't see it right away, took several minutes to start.

After driving an hour, empty.

But if I were you, as others have indicated, take it to the dealer, if its a head gasket, its their dime. But if it were you'd see liquid condensate at the exhaust pipe, right?

And some serious overheating.

Pressure test?

My Cougar (4.6L) had a crack on the manifold and was losing coolant, pooled in a place tough to see...somebody said its plastic, I can't believe that...

Again, dealer, and gun to their head till its resolved.

GeorgeC

Reply to
George Csahanin

Not sure about your gun to the head comment.... Most techs try to do honest work in a timely manner... You try fluffing your feathers for me and I will gladly show you the door.

For any business relationship to succeed - and this includes any auto repair arrangement - there must be respect by both parties.... push me? I push back....

Gun to your head? That is when you start making mistakes... you sir..... are a wiener...

Reply to
Jim Warman

You must remember that the dealer is going to give the wholesale price or trade in value for your vehicle - and there's a significant difference between that price and the retail value.

Reply to
keypogue73