Best way to seal cracked tail light?

1996 Explorer XLT AWD V8

One of my tail lights has a crack in it, which allows water in when I get the truck washed or it rains heavily. which in turn causes the backup light to stop working. I can access the back side of crack thru the hole the lamp socket screws into, so I'm thinking of brushing some clear Ducco cement on the crack. Any other ideas of suggestions? I have no idea what Ford would want for a new tailight assembly but I am sure it would not be cheap.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob

Are you sure that's the only place water is getting in? My 96 EB was getting water into the left rear BU light. I at first thought it might be from around the bulb seal, so I replaced ALL the bulb seals...w/o results.

Turned out to be seeping in from the top of the assy housing via an eroded seal. Fixed it with RTV sealant across the top of BOTH light assys. Haven't had another water problem in 4 yrs now, but RTV may also work for that obvious crack you have.

Reply to
Vito

Check out Ebay.com. I replaced a taillight assembly from an outfit on ebay for my 92 a while back. Prices are tolerable. Most are after market and new.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
Big Shoe

My 92 assembly on eBay was less than $30 last March

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

If it's clean and dry and accessable from the outside try some super glue along the crack. It's very thin and will wick into the crack.

Reply to
WhoIsIt

Junkyard or eBay.

Reply to