Bird under the hood

My wife's 2001 Sport Trac with 16000 miles has started chirping at the accessory belt area. I'm relatively certain it's either the idler pully or the tensioner pulley. Being mostly deaf in one ear, it's difficult to tell where the noise is coming from. Is one more likely than the other to be the culprit? 4.0L v6 Thanks H

Reply to
Hairy

After the dealer replaced a leaking power steering pump under warranty in my 2000 Ranger, it developed a chirping noise from the accessory belt area at 2300-2500 rpm usually, but sometimes at idle too. They replaced the idler pulley, then the tensioner pulley, and then the idler pulley again. Didn't work. Then they replaced the intake manifold gasket, and that fixed it for about a week. Another intake manifold gasket, another week. I traded it in after that.

Hairy wrote:

Reply to
mustangnorm

Never Forget

AbitRip

you might try using a rubber hose (or similar). hold one end to your ear (the good one) and move the other end to various units until you identify the squeaking part. I have used this with some success in the past.

Reply to
stevef

Geez! I was waiting for the punch line of a bird under the hood chirping "Wheeee" from the ride.

Reply to
John Riggs

Mechanic's stethoscopes are cheap and are a lot safer to use that a piece if hose and can pinpoint it a lot better.

Reply to
John Riggs