Bizarre question

I've got an '04 Explorer Limited with a strange sound. Brief history, we recently had the rotors turned and the pads replaced at 31,000, two months later there is a severe vibration in the wheel when braking, dealer says the rotors are warped three thousand miles after their brake job. Sounds starnge since the rotors were fine two montha ago, it will take a few days before I can change the rotors myself so I gave my wife my car and I'm driving it since the vibration makes her very uncomfortable. My question has NOTHING to do with any of that though. Three times in an hour ride today I kept hearing a strange noise. It was like a cartoonish or video game type sound, fairly loud and the only way I could describe it is as a water drop, aaawooooopp (bad impression). I thought it came from the DVD player at first and made sure that was off, then I heard it when the radio was on AM so I turned off all audio and heard it again, it seemed to come from directly behind me so I assumed it was one of my son's toys. I asked my wife about it and she said she's been hearing it on and off for over six months. I figured no batteries would have last in a toy that was on that long so I removed every toy from every pocket and under every seat it took it out for a ride with the radio off. Sure enough it came back. Have any of you tech's heard this odd complaint? Could it be a bad speaker in the left rear? Would it make a noise with audio off or could you test for it anyways? I am 99.9999% sure it isn't mechanical or wind related and drove it back and forth to the airport last week and didn't hear a peep.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio