Brake Lights

My 1995 XLT Explorer's brake lights don't work. The upper brake light above the rear window does work. I checked the owner's manual, and looked for the fuse, and checked it, and it looks ok to me. Any suggestions about why this could be? If one brake light is out would the other be out too? Seems hard to believe that both bulbs would burn out at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Jacob

one more thing -- maybe I didn't check the right fuse -- it wasn't 100% clear in the manual which fuse was which.

Reply to
Jacob

The fuse would be for all three lights. Either you have a wiring problem or both lower lights are burned out. You did not say if you have tried to replace one of the lights with a known good bulb. Do the flashers/turn signal work? how about normal rear lights? Since bulbs normally last a similar amount of time, I normally replace both when the first one burns out.

Art

Reply to
Art McClinton

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was pretty stupid, but I thought that it couldn't be the bulb since both went out at the same time! I took it to a mechanic and he changed the bulbs and now it's fine. He told me that it's very common that when one burns out, there's a voltage jump and the other burns out at the same instant. Now I know!

Reply to
Jacob