Brake lights out

I have a '94 Explorer. The other day I noticed my brake lights were completely out. I checked the fuse, the wires for a short and the brake switch shows continuity when the pedal is pressed. I noticed another thread of the same nature, but it continues on without mentioning what the fix was and then they talk about wireless networks and such. Also, I noticed behind the back driver side panel where the rear window wash resevoir is located, there is a box with a heatsink and many wires coming from it. What would that be? My haynes manual appears to not cover it at all. Just curious. There are also 3 relays that are not covered in the same area. What are they for?

Reply to
TetsuoH

From the brake light switch, the circuit goes to the multifunction switch - when the turn signal switch is "at rest", it redirects this feed to the turn/stop lamps...

If the car has a tilt wheel, look for pins pulled out of the connector or broken wires where the column swivels.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The relays by the rear window wash resevoir are part of the trailer towing package. When you have the wiring harness plugged in behind the rear bumper it activates the relays. Rt turn, Lt turn and brake is what the relays control IIRC. They also click quite noisily when you touch the brake pedal. HTH, -steve

Reply to
94EB4x4

It would not surprise me if replacing the brake light switch fixes your problem. Make sure you put the cotter pin back in and snap the plastic connector back on to the electrical fitting.

Please post what fixed your problem.

-Sam >I have a '94 Explorer. The other day I noticed my brake lights were

Reply to
Sam

I recently had the same problem on my 99 and the stop light switch on the brake pedal was bad. Be sure to look at your current one before going to buy a new one. The clerk looked it up on the computer and, based on vehicle manufacturing date, brought out one that was completely different. I asked to see the other one for 99 which, as it turns out, was the right one.

Reply to
Jerry

Well, I tested the brake switch and I get continuity when I press on the pedal. Is that the best way to test it? I will also post if I find out the problem.

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

I'll look into that, though probably after the weekend, thanks for the tip

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Dude...your talking about a part that is real cheap to purchase.

Post what fixes it.

Thanks,

Sam >Well, I tested the brake switch and I get continuity when I press on the

Reply to
Sam

Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

why don't you read Jim warman's post again instead throwing parts at it

Those connectors go bad alot resulting in pushed out pins

Reply to
JohanB

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Reply to
TetsuoH via CarKB.com

Dude that is awesome...that it is fixed!! Let me ask you...where is the coupling you are talking about so I can check the condition of mine.

Thanks,

Sam >I took it to a garage and they showed me a coupling that was totally corroded.

Reply to
Sam