Brake upgrade for towing with a 97 Explorer

I've been searching this group and other Explorer resources on the Internet but I haven't found much good advice on upgrading the brakes on my Explorer.

I have a 97 Limited, 4.0 SOHC, 4WD and I plan on pulling a trailer cross country this summer (I'm guessing about 3,500 lbs but I'm not sure). As far as I know most small trailers, such as UHauls, don't have brakes so it is up to the towing vehicle to stop the trailer. I found some Power Stop rotors at Summit Racing for $76 per front rotor, the pads are an additional $30. Is this enough to stop an extra 2 tons of weight? The front calipers are 2 piston calipers while the rears are single piston. Should I sink money into high performance calipers as well? Do I need to buy high performance rotors and pads for the rear?

As far as the rest of the truck goes, I plan on installing a trailer hitch, I recently flushed and filled the coolant, it has a tranny cooler with recently flushed and filled ATF Mercon V, power steering cooler, I'm not sure but I think the rear axle is 3.55:1. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice on prepping or upgrading to safely tow a trailer?

Thanks, Dave Earle

Reply to
davidearle1

gcook

Of course, there have to be brakes on the trailer for those to work. :-)

Reply to
Big Bill

I'm a freak for towing safety. So taqke this in the spirit it's offered... If you're going to upgrade the brakes, upgrade them as though you mean it. A matched system that actually increases braking over stock isn't cheap, but it can be a life-saver. Something along the lines of a Brembo upgrade with bigger rotor (more swept area, more braking action, longer life, less fade) will do wonders. If you really don't want to spend that kind of money, you could switch to ceramic pads, for longer life, less fading.

Your Explorer will already brake hard enough to activate your anti-lock system, so in reality, more won't do you much good, as far as that one emergency braking maneuver is concerned. What you are probably looking for is less fade over longer braking applications, like going down grades. Ceramic pads should handle that nicely, really. Just keep speeds lower where extended braking is expected, and don't worry about the idiots who want to go faster. Remember that downshifting (even shifting out of OD) will provide engine braking, often (on Interstates) eliminating the need to brake at all. Enjoy the trip!

Reply to
Big Bill

Of course, U-haul won't rent you a trailer anyway.

Reply to
Ratbert

Reply to
gcook