Break-in Problem on 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Twice within the past 10 months someone has been able to defeat the locks on my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Both times (the second time was last night), there has been no evidence of how the intruder gained access. I arrive at the truck in the morning to go to work and find the doors unlocked and ajar. Luckily no damage was done either time. Unfortunately, this means there is no evidence of anyone attempting to damage the locks or parts of the doors or windows and thus no answer as to how they got past the locks.

I am 100% certain the doors were locked on both occasions.

I am completely stumped as to how entry is being gained.

Does anyone have any ideas that would shed some light on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

DES

Reply to
DES

On just about every car made, the exterior lock mechanism has an arm that can be fairly-easily accessed by snaking a thick piece of wire, hooked on the end, down between the glass and weatherstripping, then turning the arm. It can be done by feel, and, on some cars, you can pull back the weatherstripping and actually SEE the arm. I know, because the wind blew my door shut once with my keys on the car seat, and it took longer for me to walk into the house for a piece of Romex than it did for me to snake it into the door, find the arm, and unlock the door.

I've taken lots of doors apart, and I'm always amazed at how vulnerable this looks. I always wondered why the arm isn't covered with a hood, to prevent it from being accessed like this, but that's they way they are. I'd guess it's to allow a fail-safe way to open the door.

Unfortunately, most dishonest people know this as well.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Tools to open the lock through the window opening are very easy to get

- Slim Jims. An alarm may be the solution you're looking for.

Reply to
bill