Burning smell

I have a slight burning smell coming from under the hood of my 1997 4L OHV V6 explorer with 130K miles. I smell the smell after I park in the garage. If I open the hood while the engine is running, I can faintly see steam/smoke rising up from the front of the engine. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from though. Does anywhere here have a technique to share that they use to pinpoint the location of whatever fluid it is that is leaking and vaporizing when it hits the engine? I don't have anything leaking onto the ground under the truck, so whatever it is isn't leaking very quickly. Oil, transmission fluid, and radiator fluid(which I suspect is the leak) are all normal. The truck has always used a little radiator fluid ever since I've had it. Probably a quart every 10K miles. Thanks.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Big Shoe

Is it a burning rubber smell? My old 97 4.0 Ranger had a burning smell for a bit, it turned out to be the belt tensioner was dying. When it died, it took out my idler pulley. Talk about a PITA on the highway at midnight 65 miles from home..

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Definately check your hoses for a pinhole leak...

I had that tensioner go out...mine started squealing first...took out the pulley & knocked out the serpentine belt (which I had just replaced

6 months prior)...what a mess.
Reply to
Deb

Well I discovered it is oil that is leading to my burning smell. The wife had the truck out this evening and I noticed a small amount of engine oil on the garage floor. The next step is to figure out where the leak is coming from. Does anyone know of common locations of leak problems for this engine? It's a 4.0L OHV V-6 1997 2WD 4-door explorer. Thanks.

Reply to
Captain Coleman