buying a new explorer (or other new vehicle)

Sometime in the future, I am going to embark into the jungle of auto dealerships to purchase a new Explorer. I've read some of the better books on how to survive new-car negotiations (such as Remar Sutton's), but one question they don't answer is: how do you make sure the factory-to-customer rebates are never part of the negotiation? I don't want to get down to the end of the deal and have the say "Oh, at that price we must retain the rebates." In particular, what forms are used to assign the rebate to the dealer, so I can keep an eye out for them? Any fine print of this nature to watch for on the buyer's order paperwork? I'm particularly concerned because I am not trading and I am not financing through the dealership, and those are the two areas where the dealers usually make most of their profit.

I would welcome posts sharing anyone's recent experience with a new-vehicle negotiation, regardless of make and model, but I am particularly interested in Explorers and other SUVs.

Reply to
John D. Goulden

factory-to-customer

new-vehicle

Reply to
Frank Mancuso

Just ask for a copy of the invoice. Offer them invoice PLUS you keep the rebates. The dealer IS still making a profit of 3% (dealer holdback) of retail sticker price. If they won't show you the invoice, that sticker and subtract 10% + you keep all rebates. Remember, the dealer COST IS his/her invoice price minus the 3% holdback. With no trade, if dealer won't go with that deal.....just walk out the door. That 3% still lets the dealer earn a $1,000.00, based on a $33,000.00 sticker priced vehicle. And with the high price of gas, they should be willing to sign you up....maybe for even less. wth

factory-to-customer

new-vehicle

Reply to
wth

The invoice doesn't often reflect the dearler's cost for the vehicle. It's usually less (often much less) because of various incentives.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Reply to