Buzzy Turn Signal

....I have a '95 XLT. Every time that I use my right turn signal I get a loud buzzing sound and the blinker does not work. I replaced the relay to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Reply to
Mike

Check the lamps at each corner, especially the failing side.

Reply to
rakster

Hi Mike,

Sorry I don't have a certain answer, but I'm having the same problem on a 95 EB Exp myself. Mine doesn't alway "buzz" but when it does, the signal doesn't flash.

Is it the relay that buzzes? With the new one in, does it still buzz? Is it only on the right turn? Mine doesn't do it often enough to remember which side is affected.

Reply to
Ted

Reply to
Ratbert

....what is it( multi-function switch)and where is it located?

Reply to
Mike

That's your turn signal switch. Multi function meaning it also has your windshield wiper switch/high beam switch on the same assembly.

My 96 just did this last week, twice. Hasn't happened since. The blinker light stayed on, and made a buzzing sound. I returned the switch back to center, and turned the signal on again and it worked normally in both cases.

I thought it might be an old flasher too, didn't think about it being a relay, thanks Tim! :)

Reply to
IanCT

....Thanks. The only problem is that if it is the multi, why does it never happen when I turn on the left signal?

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Ratbert

Hey Ratbert,

Did you replace the stalk switch yourself, or dealer? I worked on the end of my switch a couple of years ago. Washer wouldn't work. Pump was fine, but getting no elec. Someone on Google posted a method to pry off the end and clean the contacts. It fixed the washer problem. I'm hopeing the switch replacement isn't too complicated.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

I did it myself and it wasn't too hard. See this thread:

Or some of these:

Ratbert

Sound like a short or open in the right blinker circuit. Check all the wires near the lights, make sure they don't rub against the budy. Also check fuses and reset the connectors.

signal I get a

the relay to

Reply to
Boris Nogoodnik

Replace the turn signal switch. I had the exact same symptoms and problem. I replaced the relay, too.

Do a google on this newsgroup and you will find the info and instructions on how to replace it. It is not that difficult. I posted up an addendum to the directions I found. The original directions said, I think, there were torx screws holding the switch in, but on my 97 there were phillips - or vice versa.

This can be done without removing the steering wheel. There is one connector that was a bit of a bear to loosen, but be patient and it will come loose.

Took me about a half hour to replace, start to finish. I think the switch was about $50 at Ford.

Dave

Reply to
Just Me