Bying a Used Explorer part two

So a dealer near me has a 2001 Mountaineer that looks really good, carfax came back ok and all, so I call the dealer for a quote. (Which I should have taken thirty minutes and stopped by, but what's done is done.) They call me back, and I ask for their best drive-out price on a cash sale, no trade-in. Sales moron immediately ignores my question and asks what I was looking to spend. I should have said none of your damn business, I asked for your best price, give it to me and I'll either take it or leave it.

But being the generally easy-going guy that I am, I made the moronic statement, $12 to $14k. So he says, so you could do up to about $15k drive-out? I said yes about the same time it hits me that this idiot apparently thinks I am one as well. He says he'll check with his manager and call me right back. I said sure, knowing where this is going and just shaking my head at disgust at both myself and the sales moron.

Phone rings about fifteen minutes later (to make it look like an actual consultation took place, I guess) and believe it or not, they can actually let this jewel go for the unbelievable drive out price of $14,923! I just mumbled that it sounded pretty good, feeling like a fool for not setting him straight from the get-go.

Now I can't decide if I should go by in person without saying who I am, and just see what they quote, or just wait until the moron calls in a few days and tell him why I wouldn't buy an air freshener from him and hang up. I also need to remember to go ahead and get good and pissed off before enaging anymore car salesmen at the next dealership...

Reply to
wabbitslayer

Errrmmmmm.... maybe a counter-offer?

Kvetching is counter-productive.... you'll be further ahead taking some sort of action instead of waiting for something that ay not come...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hmm, no. He will probably tell you he has a buyer for $14,950, and if you want it you will have to go to $15,250.

Reply to
Michael MacMahon

Seems a bit ironic to me that you are calling the salesman a "moron". I would call the sales guy and clearly and definitely end that negotiation. Then in a day or two, start over in person with a different salesman. They won't sell it to you for 13 if they still think they have a sucker on the line at 15. H

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
Big Shoe

When I buy a used car I look at several for sale and the KBB to get an idea what they are going for. I then (if it's a dealer) make an offer (almost always less than what they are asking). If they do not accept my offer I walk away. So far they have always accepted my (fair) offers.

For example when I bought my '92 Explorer EB they were asking $9500. I offered $8100. They took it. When I bought my '95 Astro Van they were asking $19000. I offered $17000. They said no. I started to walk away and they came down to $17200. I said OK but only if they put a trailer hitch on it. They did.

When I bought my '92 Explorer XLT they were asking $7400. I found several things wrong with it. They replaced the 4WD servo motor, radius arm bushings, brake pads, repaired the upholstery, and a few other minor things. I gave them the $7400.

Keep in mind that new car dealers give very little for trade-ins and usually do very little to them before reselling them. Used car dealers buy most of their cars at auctions and sometimes pay very little for them. Ask them (new car dealer) how much the car you are buying would be worth as a trade-in and offer them $1000 more ;-)

I would not pretend to be someone else. Just set a price and stick to it.

Reply to
Ulysses

He may tell you that, but he won't mean it. If there's one thing common to all car salesmen, it's that a definite sale today beats the heck out of a possible sale tomorrow.

Reply to
John D. Goulden

hey, i said i was disgusted with myself right after i answered his question to me...

Reply to
wabbitslayer

I'm not sure what the problem is.

It's simple, as some others wrote. Check prices

and
Also look at ebay and local ads. Once you know a good price, offer them somewhat below that. Set a realistic target in your head. If they give you a final number that's at or below that, you're in. Wave a credit card in front of their face for the down payment. Say: "How would you like to put me in that car today? I'll buy it right now at this price. He's may card." Simple, easy and even fun. Don't get mad, take control. With so much info and advice out there these days, it's easy to make sure you are getting a good deal.

By the way, forget CarFax. Have them put you in touch with the former owner. If they can't, walk away. You don't need to be buying a former lease, rental or other type of auctioned vehicle. I assume this is a NEW car dealership. Make sure the former lien, if any, has been paid off. If you are financing, find out from an independent source - eloan, capital one or local bank or credit union - the best interest rate for which you qualify. Finance through the dealer only if he can match or beat it. The shorter the loan, the better.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni