Camshaft Position Sensor change

1995 Explorer with failure code 214 I cannot see if the sensor can be replaced seperately or whether the whole drive unit has to be replaced. Does anyone know if the sensor can be replaced seperately? If not can the drive unit be replaced without pulling the engine? It looks pretty like pretty tight quarters to get into let alone use a special alignment tool. Yes, this is the same Explorer in a post titled "Check Eng Light On, No Failure Codes from 12/2/07.
Reply to
cadshop

I'm kind of dealing with the same issue. You have to replace the whole unit, at least in my 94. At $400 make sure that it is the problem. Mine looks like I have to remove everything down to the lower intake manifold. I just did that, actually down to the block, when I had the heads reworked. I had a code 211 and I'm down to the PCM or the CMP, but before I do that I'm going test every relevant circuit to be absolutely sure it's the CMP, especially the grounds of that circuit.

See the Subject: 94 Explorer VIN X V6 runs for a minute and dies for what I've been through. The last 12 posts deal with isolating the CMP as the source, though I'm not 100% sure yet. Still in the tracing part of the job.

After reading the installation procedure this is a job for the faint of heart. If you get the installation wrong you have to take everything apart again.

If any>1995 Explorer with failure code 214

Reply to
J Adams

Reply to
cadshop