Can't get auto trans into gear!

My 98 Explorer has developed over time a intermittant problem with the shifter for the auto trans. Upon complaining to the dealer they they said they fixed it by greasing the interlock cable that is fitted between the ingnition and the shifter. Anyway it did not fix it! I finally stopped all together in my carport and decided to investigate. I found that the cable has a solinoid built into it and it was intermittant when tested. I have removed the cable(a job and a halve) and tested the transmission and the shifter and everythinh seems alright. Other then not interlocking with the footbrake and ignition I am hoping to use it as is without replacing the cable. Has anyone has yhis problem before and are there any other issues that i have to look out for? Many thanks to any one relplying.

Reply to
Bernard van der Horst