Can the 2002+ Exploder carry a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood?

I do not mean totally internally... I mean with the rear hatch open. My `94 did it just fine, but without actually measuring, it looked to me like the newer openings were narrower. In the `94 the panels rested on the wheel wells, and I added several 2X4's in the center for support. If it is still possible, did that change? Oh, yeah, I do not want to carry it on the roof. Thanks.

Reply to
S.P.

Although I've never tried it, I just grabbed my tape measure and went and measured my '04 EB. It looks like 46 3/4" is the max if I would raise it up over the "wheel wells". If, however, I would raise one side a few inches more than the other so that the panels would sit on an angle, 4 x 8s would be no particular problem for width.

Reply to
Incher

Gonna be the wet blanket, again.... The vehicle should not be operated with the rear hatch open. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless and can infiltrate the cabin easily. The occupants will not realize their condition deteriorating (ask me all about CO poisoning.... twice, and neither time was it pretty....). The choce is, quite obviously yours, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention the possible hazards...

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Dammit, Jim. How are we ever going to thin-out the population if you keep posting these warnings? There's a (Darwinian) reason why CO is oderless. Let nature take its course, please.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Jim, I was glad to see your response. Back in April I posted a warning about driving with the tailgate open because of sucking in fumes and got a ration of sh-t from those who said it wasn't a problem and that I couldn't prove my point. I had read of a case of the kids in the back of a station wagon arriving for vacation DOA. I recall that when I was driving wagons that there were warnings in the owner's manual.

I have on occasion found that I was in a situation that had me driving with the tailgate or rear window open. I was sure to open the front windows to be sure that there was airflow from front and out the back.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Not to minimize the danger, but when I carried the aforementioned plywood in the past, I put the outside air vents on full speed pointing directly at my face in addition to opening the front windows.

Reply to
S.P.

Well, are you saying it's a problem even if the other 4 windows (and maybe the sunroof) are open? I would disagree if that's what you mean. However, I can see your point if the other windows are up and just the liftgate is open.

Reply to
Mark

You have to be sure that there is air flowing into the car and out the rear. When all the windows as well as the tailgate, the car creates a slight vacuum as it moves through the air. That is the phenomenon that every racer takes advantage of by drafting. That vacuum helps suck the car in back a little bit and makes it easier to keep up and stay close. It is also the reason that tailgate windows get dirty faster than the others. If only the tailgate is open, it can draw in exhaust fumes. Air coming in from the front and out the back destroys that vacuum and so exhaust fumes don't enter the cabin.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Air will be sucked forward with a window open. CLOSE the windows and use max fan on vent or a/c.

The old style wind-wings would help a lot.

Jack

Reply to
Jack