Car-Based Explorer?

There was a report in this morning's paper saying that Ford will change the Explorer to a car-based vehicle at the next major update in three years. It said that the new Explorer would be based on the same platform as the 500 and Freestyle. This sounds like the plan is to do a major upgrade to the Freestyle and call it an Explorer. It seems reasonable given the plunging sales figures for the Explorer and Freestyle. Could be the plan is to sell Expeditions to those wanting a truck base.

Anyone have more information about this?

Reply to
Big Shoe

Sounds redundant with the new "EDGE".

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Gaak! I pull a 3500-pound camper trailer, and I love my '02 Explorer (first year of the previous major upgrade) for that use. My plan has always been to buy another Explorer after the next big model change. I can't wait to see what the 3-valve engine and the 6-speed transmission do for me! But it sounds like I better buy the last model of the current iteration. I sure as hell don't want a car-based SUV.

When is this scheduled to happen? The 2009 model? 2010 model? Do you have a link to the story, or to any information on the rumor? Naturally the Ford website doesn't say a thing that's meaningful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Big Shoe

Here's a link to the article about the coming car-based Explorer

Big Shoe

That sounds just like the Freestyle...

Ed

Reply to