Changing Headlamp Bulbs?

Happy holidays,

Anyone have any helpful suggestions for changing the headlamp bulbs (both sides) in a '98 Explorer EB AWD vehicle? That is anything besides "be careful NOT to touch the bulbs with your bare hands".

I opened the access flaps on the shroud, and they do not look easy to get at, hence my question. My service CD offers little help, other then rotate the headlamp bulb retainer and remove (pull-out) the bulb.

Thanks,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Not that hard, but you need flexible wrists. The CD says it all - it's exactly that easy.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Wish it were Herb, 'that easy' that is. I opened the flaps, but could not even see the back of the headlamps. Guess I'll have to perform some disassembly.

Thanks for your help,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Then you either aren't looking in the right spot or are looking for the wrong thing. It's in plain view, if not direct view, about 5 inches down and a little aft. There's a dished-out area in the radiator-supporting front frame into which the back of the lamp intrudes somewhat. The narrowness makes it an awkward wrist-twist to get positioned so you can turn it once you get your fingers on it.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

I was looking in the right spot, and at the right thing. The darn things were just tough to get at. I was almost tempted to remove the battery to get at the drivers side bulb, but I noticed there would still be a couple bundles of wires in the way. Anyway, I got them changed and it wasn't easy.

Thanks for your help,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf