Changing Oil

Here's a simple question....

When doing my own oil change on a 99 XLT 6cylinder, what is the best way to catch the old oil during the draining? Since the bolt goes in horizontally, the oil comes out the same way.

It would be nice to install an ell and redirect the oil downward.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Saunders

Steve.... I'm going to sound a bit demeaning here.... I don't mean to but I have to admit that I'm older and my folks didn't "unprepare" me for life as we know it. Go to your local parts monger... purchase the "oil drain kit". Position the container to catch the oil (much like holding a glass under the tap). Gravity works (after this many years it works too good).

My best suggestion is to find the wrench-heads in your neighbourhood and hang around with them for a while.... if you bring beer, they will like you. Watch... listen....learn..... a 'little' knowledge is, indeed, a dangerous thing.

Adding an "ell" will be difficult. You will be trying to find a metric machine thread ell (which will need a means of positioning the ell to your taste). This added on ell will present another opportunity for trouble.

I understand that there are "easy drain" type add ons available in addition to the "suck 'em out" kwickeeloob pieces..... I can honestly tell you you that the good old drain plug has never let me down.....

horizontally,

Reply to
Jim Warman

Steve, I have a 99 as well, I know what you mean. I installed a brass type ball valve that is available at a few different places. Just connect a hose to the nipple and open the lever by hand. Fast clean and simple. Look at oil drain valve at

to see what I mean.

horizontally,

Reply to
Louis Hauburger

That's exactly what I do...

I put down some absorbant cloth to catch my dribbles, and then I use one of the oil-catch buckets (big flat bowl looking thing that you can plug up and then carry the oil away in )

I just watch the stream, and slide the catcher over as the stream diminishes..

Kinda the same effect as hittin the toilet bowl when you are standing in front of it !

IMO all those Fram EZ change, and other valve setups are crap. YMMV!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Steve, Go to WalMart and buy the Fram SureDrain gizmo for $10, instead of spending $25 or more on the Fumoto valve. It works fine, just a little slowly. Hangs in the area near the oil filters. Once you've replaced your OEM drain plug with it, it's a snap to change oil. I've used it twice now, and it's a hell of a lot easier than pulling that plug and having oil spray out all over the place. Rob

Reply to
Rob
***snicker***

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

horizontally,

Reply to
Bob Moessner

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

Those look pretty cool. I wish they made something like that to drain the ATF fluid.

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Check around..... there are bungs available for trans pans available for a few suppliers - simply drill a hole in the pan and install the kit. Of course the downside is getting the pan off that first time.

Jim Warman