Changing Oil Types Question.

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a vehicle 2001 model, with 4.0 L 6 cyl. It has 57 K miles on it.

It has been running with Mobil One Synthetic since about 16 K miles.

The problem is that the previous owner had always used Mobil One Synthetic oil and the car dealer that got his vehicle on the trade changed it and put regular oil back in it!

My question, is that a deal breaker?

Is that so bad a thing on the engine that I should not buy the vehicle?

I know that the thinking is such that you shouldn't go back and forth on the oil types, right! ?

I was thinking I could simply put the synthetic Mobil One back in it after I bought it, does that make sense?

Please help me decide???

Reply to
Fathergoose

As long as servicing was carried out at proper intervals, there should be no concerns with the base stocks that the oils are built on. If you prefer to continue running conventional motor oil, do do... Even in my harsh winter climate, I find it hard to justify the extra expense of synthetic motor oils (though I do run synthetic in my drive axles).... also remember that all synthetics are not created equal (Google "polyalfaolephin").

Even though some producers are touting their oil as "extended change interval capable", I am somewhat leery..... my view is that it is the oils "add-pack" that deteriorates over the life of the oil and not the base oil itself. As foaming is prevented, the antifoamants are consumed or altered, as oxidation is prevented, the oxidation inhibitors are consumed and so on.

If you know the previous owner, both of you would have been further ahead to swing a private deal and keep the dealer from getting his pound of flesh out of the transaction...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Jack