Changing spark plugs

How much do dealers charge to change a set of spark plugs these days?

I took a look at the layout of my '99 Mountaineer (V-8 5.0L) and there's no way you could get to some of those plugs unless you were a miniature trained monkey, or pulled the whole engine out.

Reply to
J. Doh

Fred 2

Unless the '99 is somehow different from my '98, there is absolutely no need to take off wheels. Once you pull the few clips (spend the $5 on the right tool, instead of struggling with a screwdriver) and put the splash shield aside, the spark plugs are all in front of you, with lots of room to maneuver. This vehicle is the easiest to change plugs that I ever owned.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Even without the splash guards, there is a huge obstruction directly in front of the two rear-most passenger-side spark plugs (I think it's the A/C condensor). So I think it would be necessary to get to these two plugs from underneath, in addition to removing the splash guard.

I've read where removing the air filter box and the intake pipe helps with access to the spark plugs on the passenger side, but with my particular layout, this only helps (marginally) access to the two front plugs, the two rear plugs are still virtually inaccessible.

Years ago I would have tried anyway, but in light of my back problems, I'll let someone else with a younger and more flexible body tackle this particular job. ;-)

Reply to
J. Doh

Reply to
Fred 2

I started looking at changing them myself on the SOHC but it was a big PITA. I checked with the dealer and they had a tuneup package that included new plugs that was priced pretty good so I went with them.

Reply to
Al Williams

Fred, Happy,

Thanks for your advice. I took off the driver's side splash panel to have a look, and I think that without the tire in the way it should be easy enough. So, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I picked up some double platinum plugs, some dielectric grease, and some spark plug boot pliers. And some WD-40 just in case these

7-year-old, 97K mile plugs need a little 'persuasion' to get them loose.

Just one last request, any advice about getting the boots off of the plugs that have the metal heat protection shrouds on them? Just reach around them and tug with the pliers, or is there a secret trick to these boots?

Reply to
J. Doh

And you may be real sorry if you're not wearing gloves when something suddenly lets go. My Explorer spark plug experience was a bloody one.

Reply to
Lassie

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Follow-up report!

I'm happy to report that I replaced all 8 of 'em today, without a hitch. I half-expected them to be rusted in after 97K miles (and 7 years) but they all backed out easily, and it turned out I didn't even need to remove the left side tire and splash panel.

I did need to remove the right-side tire and splash panel, but once that was done all 4 plugs were right there and easily accessible.

All the original plugs were worn to about .065 - .069, and a bit cruddy. 3 of the plugs on the right side had wet, oily coating up around the threads. I've been burning about a quart of oil every 3000 miles lately, I guess that's where it's going.

Reply to
J. Doh

glad to hear that. i'm thinking of replacing plugs on my 2000 5.0. should be close to yours.

I'm happy to report that I replaced all 8 of 'em today, without a hitch. I half-expected them to be rusted in after 97K miles (and 7 years) but they all backed out easily, and it turned out I didn't even need to remove the left side tire and splash panel.

I did need to remove the right-side tire and splash panel, but once that was done all 4 plugs were right there and easily accessible.

All the original plugs were worn to about .065 - .069, and a bit cruddy. 3 of the plugs on the right side had wet, oily coating up around the threads. I've been burning about a quart of oil every 3000 miles lately, I guess that's where it's going.

Reply to
stevie

That does not sound good at only 97k :o(

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf