Check Engine light

This is probably a popular topic for this group.

Actually, I checked the engine, and it's still there!!

Seriously, what's the most common reason this pesky light comes on? Is it usually a serious problem, costing lots of money to correct? 97 Explorer 6 cyl. 4.0L Automatic

Thanks

Don

Reply to
Donald H. Shelton

When that light comes on it's usually due to an emissions part, a sensor that feeds the computer data has gone bad, or an engine sensor is picking up a problem.

Can't really diagnose anything until you know what the code is that is stored in memory. You can get an OBDII scanner for around $200 to $300, depending on what you want in a scanner, or you can pay the dealer an outrageous amount just to diagnose the problem (usually $90 just to tell you why the light came on)

Some shops will pull the code for a moderate charge, I've found as low as $30 to $40.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

If you have an Autozone close by they will read the codes for free. Checker has a basic code reader on sale for $99.00. Code could be as simple as a loose/faulty gas cap.

Reply to
Sonny

Great info!! I think there may be an autozone nearby.

i think schucks is the same as checker, isn't it?

Don

Reply to
Donald H. Shelton

Yes.. Checker / Schucks / Kragen .... same animal !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum