Check Engine light question

I had the check engine light illuminate on my 97 Ford Explorer (105K miles). Took it to repair shop and they told me it was a Cam Sensor. I had them perform the repair. When the gave the truck back, the light was still on. They told me that it had to re-learn the engine and that it would go off in about a week. I took it back a week later and they quizzed me on how the truck was driven. When I told them it was my wife's vehicle and she had only driven it locally around town for about

80 miles with top speed being 50 they told me that it had to be driven over 65 mph for at least 30 minutes as part of the learning process. So I took it to work a couple of times, 26 miles each way most of it at high speed. When I took it back today they first told me the code for the cam sensor was still in the computer, then when the forman looked it up he printed out a diagnostic that said on a single trip I must drive the vehicle at slow speed for 10-15 minutes with 4 idles (do not turn off engine) following one of the idles I must accelerate at faster than 1/2 throttle. Then I must drive at 65 MPH for 15-20 minutes.

This sounds like BS to me. Since I do not have a code reader I am at their mercy to pay for and fix what they claim needs fixing. Now that it does not turn off the check engine light I likewise am at their mercy concerning while the check engine light is still on. Any suggestions? Does what they say make sense?

Art McClinton

Reply to
Art McClinton

Your right , it is

You can clear dtc's and the engine has to re-learn new strategy, but if car is fixed, light should stay off.

Reply to
johanb

What kind of shop is this??

If the shop cares about you as a customer and their appearance as a professional facility that does good work, they would clear any codes, road test the vehicle and recheck for codes to verify the repair. Anything less is unconscionable.

If yours is a push rod 4.0, a special tool is required to properly synchronize the sensor during installation..... there is no "learn" period. It is either right or it is wrong (meaning a botched repair). If yours is the OHC 4.0, no alignment tool is required but, again, there is no "learn" period.

Your BS detector is operating well..... this sounding like about a level 8 BS alert....

It's pretty obvious that this shop has no understanding of the system and no apparent desire to learn about it....

Reply to
Jim Warman