Coil Pack and ohm reading

99 V8, I was checking the ohm reading on my coil packs for my on going rough idle. I know I should take it to a shop but I have none I trust.

My Haynes says the secondary resistance should be 6.5-11.5 k ohms, I am not real sharp with ohms law and such, my packs read 13.48 k ohms. Both packs were tested on the proper test points. Would this small of a overage reading be enough to cause a rough idle? Thanks

Reply to
Sonny

If you are looking for a rough idle, I don't think you'll find it in the coil packs....unless the rough idle is either only in wet weather or a dead miss. Incidentally, I've seen a lot of coils ohm good yet are still faulty.

I assume you have addressed the basics..... even compression, fresh plugs (properly gapped and not some of these "fancy-pants plugs) with good wires. No vacuum leaks.... EGR valve isn't hanging open.....

Unless the car has been run with an open in the secondary cicuit, the coil packs are relatively trouble free compared to some of the other underhood items.

Sounds like you've been chasing your tail for a while, now.... Check with your friends and relatives to see if they know of a good tune-up tech. Life is too short to spend most of it frustrsted...

Jim Warman

Jim is there a easy way to check the EGR for proper operation?

Reply to
Sonny

My 99 XLT SOHC with only 19,000 miles on it at the time had a bad coil pack. It was running rough even at idle.

Reply to
SizzleMP