Common A4LD Transmission Leak ('92 EB)

Is there a common place where these transmissons leak? I could not find any on Google... I have used two cans of engine cleaner and a paint brush with detergent and solvents to try to clean the trans good enough and so far it just seems like it's coming from the top, front somewhere. I've been down there several times with a flashlight and a mirror. The trans was a rebuilt from Ford and it has about 80-100K miles since it was installed (by Ford). The leak started suddenly. I looked up how to find leaks in the Ford CD manual and I can't seem to pin it down. Would a leaking vacuum diaphram cause an external leak? My experience with the diaphram going bad was the coolant was leaking into the engine intake. Right now I'm hoping to avoid yanking out the seats or dropping the trans to find the leak. I've read about leaks caused by the speedometer cable but I think that was only for manual transmissions. My Haynes manual does not even cover the speedometer cable for the auto trans (at least I can't find where, if it does).

I'm thinking maybe a rat ate through something--one got the fuel gauge wire recently on my '78 F350....

This particular Explorer is a '92 EB 4X4 with auto trans.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Big Shoe

Ouch. I spent lots of time under my '92 yesterday (also put on a trailer hitch) and ended up "fixing" the leak with a paint roller tray and two bungie cords. This will at least make it possible to go pick up a water tank and haul it up my 4WD-only hill. I'll just need to fill the trans before I go.

I'm thinking it might not be a seal leak because I put in some Lucas Transmission Fix and it didn't slow down the leak at all. I had good results with it on my '91. Their power steering goop also pretty much stopped my other leak.

I can see trans fluid dripping from between the torque converter and the engine and also along one of the cooler lines but I can't quite determine where the fluid is coming from. I also have some motor oil coming from the rear of the engine so in any case it's probably the rear engine seal is leaking and perhaps the front seal on the trans so the trans will have to come out. :-( Can anyone tell me if it will be obvious where it's leaking once the trans is dropped? I mean, will it still probably be leaking if the trans is not operating?

Also, I've read that the trans vent tube can get clogged and cause leaks. Is there an easy way to check and clean it?

Reply to
Ulysses

In the 14 years I"ve frequented this group I've never seen much in the way of tranny leak complaints. I think there could be a slight leak from the transmission cable adaptor spot but I wouldn't think it would be a big leak and it would be in the back anyway. When my modulator went bad it didn't cause a leak, just let ATF get sucked into the engine and burned causing a low ATF level in the tranny. If it's tranny fluid that's leaking and it seems to be coming from the top front my guess would be that the front seal on the tranny is leaking. If it's a substantial leak and started all of a sudden there's probably no cure but pulling and fixing it, assuming it's a big enough leak to be worth the trouble. If it was mine I would try a can of AT seal conditioner first, you might get lucky.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher