Coolant being ejected on 2002 Explorer

Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Ford Explorer V6 XLT. Recently some work was done on it to install sprockets which tensioned the timing belt. Obviously a lot of the engine was disassembled at the dealership, all under warranty. Since then some additional problems have developed but I don't know if that has anything to do with the work was done. One day the truck simply overheated and died (wife driving it, saw smoke and everything, guages screaming, you name it...I know, I know, let's not even go there). I got there, opened the hood and not an ounce of coolant in the reservoir. It was so hot that I didn't want to open it. Needless to say, the coolant level, once towed in, was discovered to be extremely low.

The diagnosis was a thermostat that was faulty and telling the system to eject the coolant. They replaced the thermostat.

Two weeks ago, my wife saw another puddle of green liquid at work. I looked at it and sure enough nothing in the reservoir (it was to the max level at the dealership). I filled it up and thus far it seems to be holding. Any ideas, what's going on here?

Thanks,

Reply to
Sunny

Telling the system to "eject the coolant?" A RADIATOR CAP that is not the proper pressure rating for your vehicle can do that. That is NOT the system. Ejecting coolant would only make a bad situation worse! Let me tell you what might be another avenue to explore, as my Explorer exhibited the exact same symptoms.

First, go to another mechanic. I don't think the one you saw has a handle on the situation. Have him examine the engine freeze plugs on each side of the engine block. A corroded plug will allow the antifreeze to leak out, will not allow the cooling system to come up to operating pressure, and will siphon the coolant bottle during heat up while driving and cool down when the engine is turned off.

My mechanic found a corroded freeze plug, and one that was doubtful. I gave him the go ahead to replace both. The Explorer runs like a top now, the coolant temperature is reading midrange on the gauge where it never left the cold side before. The mechanic tells me that some of the computer sensors rely on coolant temperatures to accurately set engine settings, as I said, the truck is running better every day.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Richard Ray

[...]

Possible head gasket due to the overheating?

Just a thought.

Reply to
Gerry Pierce