coolant temperature high and transmission jerky

Yesterday, my 2000 Explorer XLT started to blink "Check Gage" warning light. After checking all gauges, I found out the engine coolant temperature gauge is in the warning range. In addition, when the transmission (automatic) shifts, there is a jerk or bounce. I checked the coolant level, engine oil and transmission oil, all is fine. Even after a cold start, the temperature gauge moves up pretty quickly, and normally after a transmission jolt, the temperature will jump to the warning range and the "Check Gage" light will turn on.

Anyone experienced the same problem before? Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- David

Reply to
David Wang

I had a similar occurrence with my 2001 XLT V6. Probably need to replace a defective thermostat. That solved my problem. Since you have a 2000 model, the coolant probably needs to be refreshed if you have not already done so. Good time to do the coolant as well as the thermostat.

kroe

David Wang wrote:

Reply to
kroe