Cost for Power Steering Box on 1992 4x4 Explorer

Hi, My power steering box (not the pump) on my 1992 Explorer is leaking and needs to be replaced. I got quotes from the Ford Dealer for the part , $338, and its a reman. I got a quote from the local Napa he he quoted me $194, reman. How can there be such a price difference? Local Mechanic told me it would cost me $368 for the part, plus 3 hours labor. Anybody out there give me the truth on this (part cost and labor time)

Reply to
Shrek

If the box itself is still good (no excessive play "over centre") why not have the leak repaired. The Pitman shaft seal is the common one..... kit is likely 20 bux, give or take, and about an hour labour.....

Jim Warman

Often, shops will opt for the most expensive option... especially if they think you aren't savvy...

I always want a 2nd opinion... and asking if the leak can be fixed without replacing the unit might be a good way to show them you aren't a sucker...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern