Could someone please explain how tire size destroyed my transfer case?

97 Explorer. Diagnosed as needing a new transfer case. Guy took a caliper and measured the diameter of each tire and found the right front to be about 1/2" smaller than others and declared that to be the problem that caused the failure. It was worn and needed replacement.

How did the diameter of one tire cause this problem?

One of the reasons I"m confused is because there have been many times during the life of this car when the mechanic has warned me that a tire or two has too much wear and the 'case hasn't failed. Is the the results of differing tire sizes (due to wear) over a 9 year period?

He wants to replace all 4 tires, although the other three appear to me to be in good shape - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

Mike,

I had a similar problem in 1998 with my 98 Eddie Bauer. The spare was of a smaller circumference than the other three tires. After about

50 miles of driving, smoke was pouring from the transfer case as was a good deal of fluid. After a tow to the Ford dealer and a 30 day repair, I got my Explorer back. Since then, I've been much more fussy about the age and sizes of the tires. The problem has never returned. It doesn't take but a little math to realize that when the circumference of the tires on the same axle differs by even a little that the cumulative effect that the transfer case sees over distance traveled adds up fast and may lead to trouble. By the way, last month I replaced my Michelin LTX M/S with 84000 miles on them with a whole new set of Michelin LTX M/S. SWEET!

Best of luck to you!

Reply to
Passerby

I recently posted this info on how your transfer case works in the thread about the 1995 Explorer update. Note that you can't select true

2 wheel drive. If the computer thinks a wheel is slipping, it engages the transfer case. There is a "brown wire mod" that allows you to stop the transfer case from engaging in this case. Here's the info: 97-'01 (switch says, 4auto, 4high, 4low)

The '97-'01 model years lack a true 2 wheel drive option. With a live front axle, there are no significant mileage gains to be had by driving the rear wheels alone. That being said, some of us simply prefer to determine when the front wheels should drive and when they shouldn't, instead of relying on a computer to make that decision for us.

In 4 auto, the GEM monitors the wheel speeds. When it determines that there is wheel slippage, it sends the signal to the Torque On Demand relay to actuate the Transfer Case Clutch Coil via the brown wire.

******************

So the computer interpreted the smaller wheel as slippage and engaged your transfer case on pavement. The "brown wire mod" would allow you to defeat that.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Couldn't find your reference to the mod, please provide more info on where it is posted

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Read the article:

That should help answer your question.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Here's info on the "brown wire mod" with pictures for the 1995-1996 Explorers:

Here's the "comprehensive brown wire mod" info, covering '95-'96 and '97-'01 model years:
Note: not for AWD vehicles.

Why do this mod:

Some of us simply prefer to determine when the front wheels should drive and when they shouldn't, instead of relying on a computer to make that decision for us.

Background on the "brown wire mod": There were three slightly different systems included in the second-generation Explorers. The All Wheel Drive is a full-time system and cannot be modified to be full-time four-wheel drive or two-wheel drive. The second and third systems used in the '95-'96 and '97-'01 model years were both called 'Control Trac 4 Wheel Drive' Both systems used the (insert model here) transfer case. The '95-'96 used a front axle equipped with a Center-Axle Disconnect, which was done away with on the '97 model year in favor of a live axle (and fewer parts to fail when needed most)

Depending on the operator selection, the transfer cases in both systems were actuated by one of two GEM-controlled sources: The Torque On Demand Relay and the Transfer Case Shift Relay. The transfer case contains a Transfer Case Clutch Coil, which is what locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Power for the TCCC is fed via a brown wire, hence the familiar name.

Reply to
carbide