Cracked back panel

TSB 03-15-5 My exporer is now out of warranty and the plastic panel cracked this weekend when the temperature got below 32. I have contacted the customer care center as well as my delarship and they both tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I don't understand if this type of damage has happened to other explorers why have they not recalled the part? Any help with understanding this would be appreciated.

Reply to
dc_las

when the temperature got below 32.

tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I don't understand if this type of damage has happened to other explorers why have they not recalled the part?

I don't think it's just the cold that would do that; heat is much harder on such parts. Being left out with the sun onthe panel is deadly. (Oue Expy is backed into the driveway for just that reason.)

As for a recall, that's an appearence item; not much incentive for a recall, from the maker's viewpoint.

You say your Explorer is out of warranty; how far out is it?

Reply to
Bill Funk

If yours is an '02, I just had mine replaced last month, 17,000 miles/15 months old. Service mgr had seen several last winter, and mine was the first this winter....and he expects more as the weather gets colder. The repair is a 2 day deal involveing R & R panel off the glass and painting. The crack in ours ran right under the "blue oval" and in cold weather you could slip a quarter into it. wth

weekend when the temperature got below 32.

both tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I don't understand if this type of damage has happened to other explorers why have they not recalled the part?

Reply to
wth