Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22

Has anyone had the Ford dealer add the "magic" ingedient to there transmission? Did it make any difference in the shifting?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed, this stuff isn't supposed to make your transmission shift differently..... it is supposed to keep it from shifting differently at a later date.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Something I havent figured out yet. If I take the car in and have the secret sauce added to the transmission, and then at a later date change out the transmission fluid with the owner's manual specified Mercon V fluid, do I need to go back and have the secret sauce added again?

To answer your question, I havent had it done yet.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Reply to
Big Shoe

The "secret sauce" in the case of my 2003 XLT was not to add something to the transmission, but to reprogram the shift control program in the computer. This so totally changed the shift charactistics of the vehicle that it seemed to be a different transmission. Shifts now are so smooth and timely that they are almost unnoticeable.

SY Cohen

Reply to
syclone

I haven't seen any TSBs on updated fluid for these transmissions. Safe to say that Fords major concern is making sure these units get past the warranty period. As dealer techs, we are expected to know that these models require this so-called "secret sauce". If someone reminds mr, I'll check the March DVD manual for any reference when it becomes available. I would expect a note on this additive in the fluid spec sub-section of the auto trans subsection of the driveline subsection of the manual.

The directions are mistaken... when they say shake well, they mean shake the ever-lovin' p*ss out of the product before use.

Side note to Ed... if you are having shifting concerns, e-mail me your VIN off-list and I'll run OASIS for you.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe

Jim,

I actually have a 2004 Thunderbird, not an Explorer. I bought it used earlier this year. At that time it only had a around 3500 miles. It now has around 7000 miles. The transmission shifting is OK as far as I know, although it is a little harsher than my Expedition. I do not know what is normal. My VIN is 1FAHP60A44Y105325.

Thanks and regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed.... our PTS website seems to be having difficulty and I can't get to OASIS right now.... Joggle my memory tomorrow and I'll check again for you. We only ever sold one of the last model T-Birds and I never did get the chance to drive it so I'm a poor comparison. If anything, I would expect the car to shift smoother than the Ex....

Once oasis is back up and running, we can check and see if there is anything regarding harsh shifting concerns.

All I can tell you at this point is that the fluid additive isn't designed to intentionally alter shift feel.

Reply to
Jim Warman

OK, Ed... I found what we need.

SSM (Special Service Message) 18208..... sorry I can't do a cut and past - copyright laws and such.... Mercon V will still be the fluid of choice but the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004. Mercon V was refomulated to meet the requirement of the later transmissions.

The production line came "out of step" with itself for a short period. If the reformulated oil had arrived first, we wouldn't even know of the reformulation.

As for your car.... it was built 11/06/2003.... no warranty history at all but 04B22 is still outstanding. There is one SSM (17852) that deals with transmissions without the SportShift feature but it mentions having an E displayed for gearshift position and DTCs in memory.

Being that my stock in trade is mostly trucks, I am unfamiliar with the SportShift feature but if your car is equipped with this feature I would turn it off and see what happens.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe

That's it in a nutshell.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I'm dropping off the Tbird tonight to get the secret sauce added.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"cewhite3" wrote: > Jim Warman wrote: > > > > OK, Ed... I found what we need. > > > > SSM (Special Service Message) 18208..... sorry I can't do a > cut and past - > > copyright laws and such.... Mercon V will still be the fluid > of choice but > > the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004. Mercon V was > refomulated to > > meet the requirement of the later transmissions. > > > > The production line came "out of step" with itself for a > short period. If > > the reformulated oil had arrived first, we wouldn't even > know of the > > reformulation. > > > > As for your car.... it was built 11/06/2003.... no warranty > history at all > > but 04B22 is still outstanding. There is one SSM (17852) > that deals with > > transmissions without the SportShift feature but it mentions > having an E > > displayed for gearshift position and DTCs in memory. > > > > Being that my stock in trade is mostly trucks, I am > unfamiliar with the > > SportShift feature but if your car is equipped with this > feature I would > > turn it off and see what happens. > > > > Thanks Jim. I'm dropping off the Tbird tonight to get the > secret sauce added. > > Ed

Hello, I scheduled my service appointment too far out for this week. And all of a sudden I noticed about a week 2 weeks ago I started to experience delays in shifting.

I am curious whether getting the "special sauce" will correct any issues or just prevent them from getting worse. The letter says "over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements", does this mean that once the shifting problems start that they are irreversible? I had a problem scheduling the service appointment with work and everything and now I am scared that I did damage to my explorer.

Thanks this thread has been very helpful! kevin

Reply to
tt14tt

"tt14tt" wrote: > Hello, I scheduled my service appointment too far out for this > week. And all of a sudden I noticed about a week 2 weeks ago I > started to experience delays in shifting. > > I am curious whether getting the "special sauce" will correct > any issues or just prevent them from getting worse. The letter > says "over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements", > does this mean that once the shifting problems start that they > are irreversible? I had a problem scheduling the service > appointment with work and everything and now I am scared that > I did damage to my explorer. > > Thanks this thread has been very helpful! > kevin

I got married on 12/31/04 and moved in with my husband putting my house up for sale. Because of mail delay I received a letter from Ford dated in January 2005 to my old address about 04B22 that I need to have in the shop by March 31, 05. I have noticed trouble in the shifting especially in reverse. Even though I bought the Total care warranty program, I am being told they will not cover rental car expenses but the dealership is telling me it will take about 5 days to fix my car and they haven?t even looked at it yet. Guys help, am I being ripped off here?

Reply to
NavyMom

Unless someone promised you, in writing, a rental car, the answer is no.

Reply to
Big Bill

Because of mail delay I received a letter from

Not enough information to know whether you are being ripped off, or not. It certainly wouldn't take 5 days to add 6 ounces of fluid supplement to the transmission. So, it appears that they intend to do more than the 04b22 recall, but you don't say what. If a new trans is planned, a competant shop should be able to do it in much less than 5 days, IMO. As far as a rental is concerned, you need to *carefully* read your service contract to see what is and isn't provided. I wouldn't just take their word for it. Good luck H

Reply to
Hairy