Dealer Recommended Service

I just got back from having the dealer change oil, rotate tires and perform state inspection on my '05 Limited (45,000 miles on it). This dealer has started something new and gave me a seven-page printout of everything their technician "found" to require attention along with the price total of $594.80 for all this. Included in the recommendations were brake system flush, power steering flush, service battery, fuel injector/air induction major service, cooling system flush and transmission flush.

My reaction to all this is that the dealer is recommending services which will do no harm, but which are not really necessary. I have not looked yet, but don't believe any of this is included in Ford's recommended maintenance. I certainly expect to do the maintenance which is needed, but don't want to be ripped off.

Any thoughts from the group on this?

Reply to
Big Shoe

Yeah -- Wallyworld will rotate your tires and do the lube job for a whole lot less than the dealer -- and there are probably a ton of OTHER state inspection stations.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Your dealer is jumping on the bandwagon very, very late. I have been seeing this for twenty years. They enter the date and mileage into a computer, and it spits those mailings for various services every three months or so. Essentially easy money, made on either trivial tasks that a savvy owner can (and should) perform himself, or unnecessary ones. I would pass, even if it was free.

OK, I would make an exception for the brake flush every couple years -- even though some people on this group are against it. I do that myself, but it's tricky, because if you introduce air into the system, you'll need the dealer to evacuate the ABS pump.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Nothing more is needed.

Reply to
Bob

You are right. The recommended stuff is here...

-------------------------------------------------- DocE

"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

DoctorElefant

Not necessary unless you drive a 5,000 lb trailer down a mountain everyday.

Not necessary.

How exactly do they service a battery? All batteries today are maintanance free.

If the engine is running fine and runs smooth, leave it. Not necessary.

Ok, I could see doing this every 3/4 years.

I don't think you need an entire flush, just a regular pan drop and filter change is sufficient.

Save your $600 for other important things.

Reply to
Mikepier

Some dealers have resorted to "wallet" flushes to maximize profits.... BG, WYNNS and others put on glitzy promo's to convince management and techs that these products are the saviour of the automotive world..... Often, additives are installed at the time of service and the service writer is left to try and justify the additional charge. My thought is that, if I didn't specifically ask for this additive, it better be gone.... If they have to replace the fluid in something on thier nickel - oh, well.....

If your dealer is recommending these un-necessary services, it is time to let him know that this is unacceptable oversell....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe