Difference in engines?

Can anyone tell me the difference in the 4.0L engines from the early explorers to late model. I'm still fuzzy on this. It says 4.0L SOHC on a

2004, and it says 4.0L SOHC on my '92 EB. I noticed mine has the distributor ( if you can call it that ) to the rear, and the newer model has it to the front. What other differences are there?
Reply to
John Riggs

Your 92 Ex will have the 4.0 OHV... this is a pushrod engine with OverHead Valves (also called a cam-in-block) design. The 4.0 SOHC (single overhead cam) features one camshaft mounted on each cylinder head. The SOHC version has featured several different intake manifold designs over it's life and may differ in appearance from one year to the next.

None of the 4.0s used a distributer but have a coil pack containing 3 coils.... I can't recall on the newer ones if they share the coil on plug arrangment found on the V-8s.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

You see, here is my confusion. Ah, okay. Are there any other differences between them? I suppose the version I have is closer to the old motors I can, and have, worked on, so this is a good thing for me. Any cool stuff I can do to play with this setup a bit more? Make things a bit easier on me and my pocketbook, or is it just what it is, and no real options without major outlay of cash?

I also recall others doing some bodywork replacing quarters, which seem to rust like crazy around here. No rust last year to falling off this year. This place is tough on vehicles. They seem to worship the salt gods, and I'm smack in the middle of the salt plains of Nebraska. No escaping the stuff. Any ideas where these guys got their fresh parts and panels, otherwise I'm going to be down to cutting tin and shaping it myself with a lot of time in working with the hammers, dollies, and welding.

| |

Reply to
John Riggs