Differential Leak- follow up .

I made my trip with no problem, put the car in a shop for an eval. Leaking from one or both axle seals. My dealer wants $500 to replace the seals. $100 parts kit, $370 labor and $30+ for shop supplies, taxes etc. When I asked the shop manager if this was a common repair he said no. When I asked if there was anything I did or could do to prevent it happening again he said it was probably bad luck, seals don't usually give up with so few miles and only routine driving. Unfortunately, my warranty is up and the seals were not subject to a Ford repair recall or bulletin. A local repair shop wants $390 for the same job but their track record with previous repairs on another car has not been excellent. They couldn't tell me if they would be using Ford parts. Anyone know which price is reasonable for this job? I can nurse the leaks for a few more days but should get it fixed before I head out on a longer trip. Advice, suggestions all appreciated.

Reply to
Foon

Bill Hall

Your 03 has the IR type rear, my advice is to go with the Ford dealer as he will have the experience and the right parts and tools to do the job right. Not all nut busters can work on the Ford IR rear and get it right the first time. Just because some nut buster saw it done last year does not mean he can do it for you this year.

R> I made my trip with no problem, put the car in a shop for an eval. Leaking from

Reply to
Ron Bozich