Dim Message Center. 02

The message center in my 02 Eddie Bauer is dim. I can't see it on sunny days. It is readable on cloudy days and nights. It is much dimmer than the radio readout, for example.

Has anybody had this problem and fixed it or had it fixed? Are all 02s like that? I don't think it was like that when it was new.

The dealer says the only fix is to replace the entire instrument panel (speedo etc.).

Observations: At night, when I switch on the headlights, the message center dims more and the dash panel brightness knob dims and brightens the message center too. I seems like it is always dimmer than the speedo and the radio, etc.

Please let me know if anyone has had this problem. It sure would be nice to be able to read the message center during the day.

Dave Hollis

Reply to
Dave Hollis & Penny Williams

Teleplus Gatineau

Same here, you can't read it on a sunny day. Big question is: Has ford fixed it yet on the '05's? wth

Reply to
wth

Reply to
Big Shoe

DAVE & PENNY, I have had the same problem and will detail what I went thru and my observations.

  1. Total denial at Service Dept where I bought it - Maxwell Ford in Austin TX. Service Manager held a paper service floor mat over dash and said 'I see it OK'. Of course we were under the canopy at the time as well. After I continued the pursuit that if you drove it outside and removed the floor mat you could not see it, he relented and agreed that it was not reasonable light intensity. His conclusion was that the dash light control on the left was faulty and he wanted to replace it, and was sure it would fix the problem. Did...did not. At that point it was just 'sorry it is all we can do'.
  2. I took the email address from the Owners Manual for the District Office. Sent an email and no reply. After what I recall being about 4-6 months I had an apologetic phone call from a person saying that they had had a change in personnel and she was new to the job and would attend to it. Here were my arguments: a. I carry grandchildren and the only warning about 'DOOR AJAR' is in that panel and absolutely unreadable. One or more 'lost grandchildren' and Ford could be DEAD too. b. The only way to tell 'MILES TO EMPTY' is in that little panel. c. The only way to tell 11.1 miles to exit is in that little panel. d. ie. It is a safety hazard and major inconvenience and poor design.
  3. I noted a person with an '02 Mercury Mountaineer at the Post Office and his panel was perfectly readable. How different can it be ?
  4. They replaced (at their expense to be fair) the panel with one from another vehicle and it is only slightly better.
  5. My only reasonable action is that I have decided that I will never have another Explorer EB (have had a '91, 95, and the '02) and presently looking at the Chrysler T&C minivan. After all the frustrations and denial of problems I have no more time to spend on it.

...you are not alone with this problem...

Roger

Reply to
rogercamp