Does ATF Conditioner/Leak Stop work?

Has anyone here had a good experience with ATF Leak Stop, either mixed in ATF or a separate product? I've seen several brands, only one of which mentions how long it should take to work (100 miles), but I just am not sure it's worth the bother. My ATF goes down very slowly, so I was thinking of giving it a try... 92 XLT 188K miles

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

I'd have it looked at. It could be leaking into/onto something that doesn't like ATF.

Fixes like radiator StopLeak and No-Smoke (or whatever it is for worn rings) are a joke. My grandfather put StopLeak in his radiator once, and months later we drained it for a flush and it was just mucked up at the bottom radiator hose.

BTW, The leak was at the weep hole in the bearing of the water pump. This was a 85 Chevy Impala.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

These types of products are not intended as a permanent "fix"..... they are a stop-gap repair to tide you over and are hard to call them a "fix". In the case of transmission stop-leak, it is a seal sweller/softener - expect an overhaul, sooner or later, after using this type of product.

Similarly, radiator stop leak works about 50% of the time...... unfortunately, this type of product has a hard time telling the difference between a leak and an internal passage - like heater cores.

If you feel you must use a "stop leak" product, be aware that it can be much more costly to clean up the side effects from their use than to repair the problem properly in the first place.

Jim Warman