door keypad

where can I find the default code, to unlock doors, on a used 2000 Ford Explorer Sport

Reply to
patb

--------------------------------------------- For the '99 XLT, the code was in the owners manual. No manual? The dealer should be able to help.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Check on-line for the location of the computer. The original code should be on that box. If the previous owners have changed the code from the original I have no idea. HTH

Reply to
John Ahnen

The code should be located on the black box in the tire jack compartment. Get a flashight and a mirror. If it is not there and you don't have the manual, your dealer can recover the code for a nominal fee. Cheers.

Steve R

Reply to
SGR

Another option is behind the passenger side airbag.

Here some instruction I lifted from another post :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- disconnect the battery, empty the glove box, disconnect by squeezing the two stop tabs on the side of the box and let the glove box drop all the way down, looking up under the dash there are two 8MM bolts to loosen, this will disconnect the air bag so it will come straight out the dash. disconnect air bag wire, Look in the big hole and there is a off yellow/beige little box on the upper left hand corner of the air bag hole. loosen the 2 7mm bolts and it is on the top of that box. It will be a 5 digit number. The whole thing sounds a little complicated but I did it in about 15 minutes. NO FEAR!!!!!! Put everything back in reverse order. The defualt code does not change--the user can set their own, but the default will still work also.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

compartment.

-----------------------------

For a 2000 Explorer Sport I believe the code is located on the module that you can see through the jack compartment (see prior post) if there is one at all. During the 2000 Explorer Sport Model year Ford change the security system. Vehicle built after 7/24/2000 have a different sort of module that may not have the code on a label. The older PATS modules had one code hard wired in. The newer central security module is personalized electronically when the vehciles are assembled. The dealer should be able to read the code with their computer equipment.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks Ed. I took that post actually from Mysporttrac.com, for a Sporttrac- of course, and they are all 2001+ model years. I know this works for them, and since the front clip is the same as the sport, I figured this would help. Just thought it might be another spot to look, because IIRC, the OP didn't want to go to the dealership.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

It may help, I don't know. However I can understand that the security module would need to be in a different location for a Sporttrac since the location where it has been traditionally located on other Explorers (over the rear wheel wheel in the luggage area) doesn't exist in a Sporttrac.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White