DPFE sensor

Is it possible to "clean out" a clogged DPFE sensor and have it still be operational? After giving the parts monkey my $55 and replacing my old one the tinker in mean begain wondering. Out of curiousity, I drilled out the rivets and discovered the accumulated combustion byproducts.

The DPFE replacement seems to be a common solution to the P0401 "ERG insufficient flow" CEL code. Is a DPFE considered a "normal wear" part that will eventually need replacement, or is the clogging a byproduct of some other problem?

Reply to
Captian Coleman

Seeing that this has gone unanswered and wishing I could see where it could go, I'll creep out on a limb......

The crud that collects in the DPFE is pretty much unavoidable.... fuel quality and contaminants, oil infiltrating the combustion chamber, particulates getting past the filter medium..... it all adds up and will contribute.

For my customers... at 82 loonies/hr, I can't mess with low end parts for very long before the repair is worse than the replace. Would anyone want me to spend 60 bux fixing a 70 bux tailpipe? Add that if I did clean a DPFE and it did well for a week, when it comes back under warranty I'll pay for a new DPFE out of my pocket AND be the subject of coffee shop talk for a few days. For myself..... I can't be bothered spending a bunch of time gambling that my attempts will result in a dependable or reliable repair.

Life is an adventure... time spent jerry rigging fixes is time we take from meaningful endeavours.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I realize the financial practicalities of doing business mean this sort of tinkering probably isn't going on in the dealership. As many discovered with the notorious blend door problem, sometimes a DIY fix can be quite effective and cost nary a penny. In that case, all that was needed was half of a small nail to render the blend door operational. I'm sure someone spent a long time fiddling with a nail to come up with this free fix. Everyone's opportunity cost is different. I consider time under my hood as time well spent. I usually learn something, rarely f*** something up, and keep my wallet fatter in the process. If I can shake, spit in, or run a pipe cleaner through a DPFE sensor to extend its servicable life, it makes sense for me to do it. Society seems content to pitch everything that doesn't work properly in that trash and then go out and buy another one. While this often makes economic sense, I'm always interested in checking to see if an item is serviceable provided it isn't a safety issue. Your comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Reply to
Captian Coleman

I tried to do this on mine. I drilled out the rivets, cleaned it up interiorally wise as much as I could, and installed new hoses to it. The aluminum pipe going into it had detoriated and broken into pieces. I rigged it up as best as possible, and re-rivetted it again. The DPFE sensor code came back on almost immediately. After purchasing a new DPFE sensor and installing it, the code hasn't returned.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton