Drilling holes in bumper & air-bag sencer??

I have a 2001 Exp Sport which I would like to remove the front toe hooks and in its place put some driving lights. Problem is that I may need to drill holes into the underside of the bumperso to mount the lights. Is the an airbag sencer in this area? My son has

1999 Exp 4 dr. any chance of hitting a sencer drilling into his bumper? He want extra lights as well.
Reply to
pnowak

Now why would you want to install driving lights? I hate those things...all they do is blind oncoming drivers. If you can't see very far with your existing headlights, then you should just slow down to a safe speed.

That's my 2c worth.

Reply to
Kevin D

I never use those lights, just because I know what it is like to have them shining in my eyes when the occasional "look at me" idiot has his on.

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Not that I want to start some flaming responses, but I must say I am surprised at the vehemence some have toward fog lights! I have never ever been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights and have never found them distracting in any way. I am not a kid, either, being well past 50 and having poor eyes (nearsighted, bifocals, and a developing cataract). Living out in the country, I really appreciate the added illumination of the road edges, especially when passing an oncoming vehicle. I am far more bothered by people who leave their high beams on and those new "blue" lights are really a bit irritating, but I am never bothered by fog lights.

That being said, some cars do not have fogs, but some semblance of a driving light (I think Pontiacs are notorious for those) that will blind an oncoming driver. Those should only be used in conjunction with High Beams, IMHO, when no other cars are around. Do YOU have fogs? Turn them on at night while parked close to a wall or garage door. Do they make a thin horizontal beam of light that is no higher, and usually slightly lower to the ground, than the lights themselves? That low-aimed, sharp cutoff light is designed to minimize reflections up where drivers are, precisely what is needed in fog, and should not disturb other drivers.

Now for some real insanity, why are some fog lights designed to turn off when high beams are on? If you can run high beams, what problem is there to run fog lights as well? Truly the fog benefit is cancelled by the high beams, but why make them turn off?

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Reply to
Big Shoe

Flaming responses? C'mon Vic, we're all adults here. We can express differing opinions and still be civil! Now for my other 2c worth...

You wrote, "I have never ever been "blinded" by a properly installed and aimed set of fog lights". "Properly installed and aimed" are the operative terms here. So many people must buy a set of these things and just slap 'em on, apparently never bothering to aim them properly. Some are so bright and shine right in my face, that I have to shield my eyes with my left arm until they pass, so that I can see the road in front of me. I live in central WA, and often travel to Seattle over mountain passes...not only is it pitch black at night, but the switchbacks are difficult to navigate if you have some fool's driving or fog lights in your eyes.

What may be even worse are the boneheads who use the things in the city, when there is more than adequate street lighting. I assume that they are mostly kids who think that the lights are "cool", but I suspect that a fair number of adults are also guilty. I have no problem with people who use these lights on dark rural roads, when they are properly aimed (a tiny minority, IMHO). If you take the time to install and aim them properly, you are probably smart enough to know when to use them, and perhaps more importantly, when NOT to use them.

Then there are the fools who refuse to dim their high beams, even after being flashed once or twice. If only people were courteous to each other...but I'm afraid that aspect of society has been left far in the past.

And yes - my Ex does indeed have driving lights. I've never once used them, nor do I have any plan to.

Cheers! Kevin

Reply to
Kevin D

I think everyone has strayed away from the "ORIGINAL" posters question. Call a dealer and ask them since everyone has gotten sidetracked by the debate over Fog Lights. They will be able to tell you where the sensors are located. When you do get them installed I know you will keep in mind the safe ooperation of your fog lights. Good Luck!

Reply to
Silverbirdflyer

I am blown away that the original poster hasn't figured out how to reach up behind the bumper or where ever he plans on drilling and simply feeling around.....

Common sense took another holiday....

Reply to
Jim Warman