Exploder vs. Mountaineer

To replace my 94 Exploder Ltd., I am looking at 2005 Exploders and Mountaineers, among others. Does anyone have info as to why one is vastly better than the other, or what to avoid in one or the other? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

Since they are both built on the same platform, it becomes an issue of trim, options and price........ caveate emptor...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have heard that a fully optioned out Explorer is more expensive than a Mountaineer with the same stuff as standard... any truth in this? I would probably go for another Limited. I never bought new before, so I am in virgin territory here.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

I think much is going to depend on the deal you can cut with the dealer.... here in Canada you can pay a premium for a 'marque' that implies being a step up.

I've purchased several brand new vehicles over the years and I can honestly tell you that the lump in your throat when you see what that first years depreciation does for you will make any money saved or wasted in the purchase decision will look like small potatoes.

All I can suggest is visiting some of your local dealers and checking out the on line sources.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe

We ordered a fully loaded '03 Mountaineer Premier that we took delivery of in September of '02. Yes, my experience was that an Explorer with the same equipment was more money. Go figure. I guess they wanted to throw a bone to the Lincoln Mercury dealers and most Explorers are the XLT or XLS anyway....not the higher priced Eddie Bauer or Limited.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Would you make the same purchase if you were shopping today?

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

You can pull a U-Haul trailer with a Mountaineer, but not with an Explorer.

Explorer - This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?

Mountaineer - Our records indicate this is a recommended towing setup; however, all towing is subject to inspection. We suggest you have your vehicle inspected free of charge at any U-Haul Moving Center prior to the date of your move.

Why, you ask? I don't know, but that is what U-Haul says.

Reply to
Bill

The Explorer owner cannot rent a U-Haul trailer to attach to his Explorer, as U-Haul's attorneys are afraid of litigation from Explorer owners who can't drive an SUV with a trailer attached, get themselves hurt, then expect a company with deep pockets to give them a big payday. BTW U-Haul is on the edge of bankruptcy now.

The Mountaineer, which is an Explorer with Mercury trim, has optional features on the Explorer which are standard on the Mountaineer. And you can go to your local U-Haul Rental Center and rent any trailer they have. They'll hook it right up for you. Go figure!

Reply to
Richard Ray

Yes I would. After 2 years/25000 miles, our vehicle has not had one mechanical defect. Big improvement over the '99 Explorer it replaced.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Is this a new policy? I've rented and towed a number of U-Hual trailers in

97 and 98. I've had my own 5x8 utility and 6x14 tandum wheel, so no problem with hauling stuff.

Al

97 Exp AWD with tow package

Reply to
Al

U-Haul announced this policy sometime right before Christmas 2003.

Reply to
John Riggs

It is a minor thing to be sure, but Ford cannot fix the Message Panel on my Eddie Bauer. It is impossible to read it under normal daylight driving conditions. It happens to contain the 'door ajar' message as well as the compass, mileage, mpg, etc.

The Mountaineer, however, seems quite readable. Much brighter.

I have had three Explorers and this is my last for this reason.

RCC

Reply to
rogercamp

on

there is a link to a protest on Uhaul about this. Someone there did alot of research (I myself wrote them directly) and basically, they have been party to one to many lawsuits with explorers (you know the kind, 18 yo towing at 80mph, loses control while talking on the cell phone and changing the cd--sues ford and uhaul). They want to separate themselves from the name.. I have heard several folks just go in and rent the trailer, the Uhaul drone just inputs F-150 or whatever.

Ironically, try putting in a geo metro on the uhaul page.... bet you can rent a trailer :)

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

They will also still sell you a hitch for an explorer, you just can't pull one of their trailers!

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce