Explorer 2000 - Front ABS Sensor

The ABS light on my Explorer 2000 came on after the ABS system started engaging at very low speeds and it is steadily lit.

I took out the front right ABS sensor to examine it. I found its tip badly ground and strands of copper wire about 0.25 inch long, hanging from it. My understanding is that the sensor has no moving part nor does it come in contact with anything moving, then why is my sensor damaged like this ? The new sensor costs 120+ dollars, so I do not want to replace it without first making sure that the new one will not get damaged because something else is also wrong.

What could damage my sensor like that, and what should I do beside replacing the sensor ?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Reply to
None

Sounds like something got stuck in the tone ring (perhaps a pebble) and is chewing the sensor up as it goes around. Or perhaps the tone ring itself is damaged and has some broken off piece sticking out. You will need to get in there and take a good look.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Is tone ring part of the wheel bearing ?

Whatever tire is placed on that side probably wears unevenly though not visibly so and starts to make noise after a while, so may be the bearing is bad. This is my latest thought connecting the observations in retrospect.

Your comments please.

Thanks

Matt

|> I took out the front right ABS sensor to examine it. I found its tip |> badly |> ground and strands of copper wire about 0.25 inch long, hanging from it. |>

|> My understanding is that the sensor has no moving part nor does it come in |> contact with anything moving, then why is my sensor damaged like this ? |>

|> The new sensor costs 120+ dollars, so I do not want to replace it without |> first |> making sure that the new one will not get damaged because something else |> is also |> wrong. |>

|> What could damage my sensor like that, and what should I do beside |> replacing |> the sensor ? |>

|> Thanks in advance. |>

|> Matt |

Reply to
None