explorer 96, fuel filter removal

do I need a spical tool to remove filter

Reply to
gsm1morris

I'm changeing the fuel filter on my 96 Explorer, and I'm having trouble removing the lines from the filter. Do I need a special tool to remove the filter?

Reply to
gsm1morris

Yes. Walk into any auto parts store and tell them what you're doing. They'll sell you a package of little plastic disc-type things. One of those will fit around your fuel line and disengage the filter.

Reply to
Ratbert

That's if you can find someone that knows what you are talking about. Look for someone who is older (not a kid) and speaks English fluently ;-) It took me 3 salespeople at Pep Boys to find one who knew.

I think it was 3/8" but I may be wrong--I have not done this since yesterday :-|

Reply to
Ulysses

3/8" sounds right - I did mine about 2 months ago. Also make sure to relieve the fuel pressure at the schrader valve before disconnecting the fuel lines. You may get a spray in the face if you don't.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sigman

Don't know what English fluency has to do with fuel filters, but you may find the metal tool easier to use - it's slimmer, has a handle and you don't need to buy three other sizes that you don't need. The fittings can be a bitch to separate. Soak them with penetrating oil and make sure that you can turn the filter around easily. Keep the tool pressed and wiggle the filter free. Patience required... Oh yes, make sure to relieve the pressure from the system before you start, but remember that the filter is full of gasoline, which will spill out the moment you separate the first fitting. Have a container ready and play it safe.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

To relieve the pressure, I usually pull out the relay for the fuel pump while the truck is running. Then it will stall, and there should be no pressure in the lines. When your done changing the filter, put the relay back, and it will take a couple of cranks for the engine to turn over when you go to start it.

Reply to
Mikepier

That reminds me--instead of disconnecting the fuel cutoff switch I removed it form it's mount and whacked it (gently) and the button popped up. Then you crank the engine for 10-15 seconds to relieve the pressure. For OP: the fuel cutoff switch is down where the passenger's feet go in the front.

Reply to
Ulysses