Explorer 97 security lock out

I assume that the following is a normal operation of the system, but it sure surprised me. I was working on my Explorer and one of the things I needed to do was allow the motor to idle for a period of time. I normally have left the door open while doing this, but today I left all of the doors closed but unlocked. After about 5 minutes I went to re-enter the wehicle and found the door locked. I decided to use the key pad to open the door but it refused. I then went inside and grabbed the spare set of keys and found that the key fob would not open the door. The only way back into the truck was via the key. I have decided that the anti theft system must have come on to lock out anything but the key. Am I correct in this assumption?

The from address is non-replyable. I will read mail here but I can be reached at First Inital Last name on the cox network.

Art McClinton

Reply to
Art McClinton

Usually the doors won't lock until you hit the brake and put it in gear.

The keypad should work. I always use the keypad to unlock my doors when I am warming the truck up on a cold day.

Reply to
JaWise

I did the same thing, thank god my wife's keys were in the house..

Sid

Reply to
Sid Daley

I don't know about you folks, but I *HATE* the auto lock feature. One of the first things I did with my 97 XLT was to disable that feature. (The instructions for doing so are in the owners manual...)

Reply to
Steve Reppucci