Explorer 'message center' problem

Has anybody else experienced this problem and, even better, know a fix?

1999 Explorer Limited - includes the Message Center in the center console, showing various information - miles left to empty, average miles/gallon, etc., etc.

Message Center display is no longer displaying anything most of the time. Sometimes it shows some unintelligible Klingon characters, and once in a blue moon has some meaningful information. Tapping/banging on the side of the console near it sometimes makes it better, sometimes worse, but usually makes no difference. Nothing makes it perfect as it originally was.

Am I looking at a loose connection, in which case I guess I'll just take the console out and re-seat all the connectors I find, or are we talking one of those expensive computer modules that are buried in this car and cost $400+ a piece?

I've got 105K miles on the car and it's mostly fine, just this message center display issue and the radio display that's causing me pain. [I've tried to fix the radio per the instructions I found here, but to no avail - the display still comes and goes as it pleases. I'm about ready to swap that sucker out.]

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Maurer